Stalwart mountain athletes don’t limit themselves to a single sport, much less a single season, so why should your hard shell?
Picture packing for a week-long alpine expedition: You’ll want the rain jacket you use on the approach through a wet and balmy rainforest to be the same wind shell you use on breezy ridges above timberline. And if you’ve worn it this far, that outerwear should also stand up to flash storms and unpleasant conditions, which would in turn be perfect as the outermost layer that tops off your layering system for the summit push. Sound too good to be true? It shouldn’t.
Enter the Interstellar Jacket: Our pinnacle AscentShell™ outerwear choice for out-of-this-world waterproof protection; the piece that pioneers a new generation of active shells for multi-sport versatility.
The Interstellar introduces a user-focused product development philosophy that spotlights the athlete, not the activity. In the winter, this jacket stands up to the demands of all-day ski tours. By spring, it’s the perfect hard shell for wet and windy mountaineering. In summer when the snow melts, adventurers will rely on this piece for backpacking, thru-hiking, and international treks. The Interstellar combines this forward-leaning development of an incredibly versatile outer layer with the functional details, fabric performance, and the best all-around weatherproof technology that adventurers have come to expect from Outdoor Research.
Totally waterproof, super breathable and incredibly lightweight, the air permeable, laminated AscentShell™ technology found in the Interstellar Jacket provides high-exertion athletes with complete protection against rain, snow, wind, and inclement weather. AscentShell™ fabric’s remarkable breathability quickly vents perspiration during aerobic activity, and its light weight saves precious energy on demanding endeavors. But the cherry on top may be this: Movement-mirroring stretch that keeps you dry without keeping you constricted.
All three layers of the AscentShell™ membrane work together for one important job; To keep you safe and dry when exposed to the elements:
- Layer one: Shell fabric protects the membrane from the outside, holds the Durable Water Repellant (DWR) treatment, and provides strength of the composite fabric.
- Layer two: Waterproof membrane allows for air permeability.
- Layer three: Backer protects the membrane from the inside, aids moisture management, and ensures your jacket stays protected for a long period of time.
Streamlined with a trimmer fit, the Interstellar moves with you as you reach, flex, and transition from sport to sport and season to season. A few important features to note:
- Elastic cuffs with cuff tabs, a drawcord hem, and an internal front stormflap seals out the elements during relentless downpours.
- A YKK® AquaGuard® waterproof zip chest pocket and waterproof zip hand pockets store important devices, accessories, and snacks.
- Fully adjustable helmet-compatible hood offers versatility across different activities and seasons.
- Dynamic reach panels allow full range of motion – even when wearing a harness, heavy pack, or base and mid layers beneath.
- To top it off, all of its 11.6 oz total weight packs neatly into its own left-hand pocket with an external carabiner loop that ensures your Interstellar stays within reach.
The result of each of these purpose-built details? A jacket that doesn’t look like you just rappelled off the summit. The Interstellar blends in on city walks or day jaunts, the stuffy 8-hour bus ride to your trekking trailhead, or at the airport on your way home.
From mellow day hikes to all-day ski tours, or from exhausting layovers to expedition-length alpine climbs, the Interstellar was made to withstand the most brutal elements you can put it through. So, go on ahead; we challenge you.
You can find the Women's Interstellar here: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/womens-interstellar-jacket/p/2644290189007 and Men's Interstellar here: https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/mens-interstellar-jacket/p/2644190189006
Photos by Elise Giordano.