Do you have a jacket that no longer repels water, but you can’t bear to get rid of it? Maybe you took it on your most epic adventure, or you met your significant other while wearing it—or maybe it’s just the perfect shade of blue. Good news! By cleaning and re-waterproofing with products like Nikwax Tech Wash and TX.Direct, you can save the life of your beloved jacket.
Tips for saving your rainwear:
1. Clean it regularly! Dirt and crud on the outside of your jacket attract water, causing your jacket to “wet out” and no longer be breathable. Sweat and oils on the inside of your jacket attract bacteria and their munching can cause delamination.
2. Clean it with a technical cleaner like Tech Wash. Household detergents can be harsh AND leave behind residues that attract water. So put down that bottle of PurpleRain OxoBLAM and clean like an outdoor pro.
RELATED: Shop The Award-Winning Interstellar Waterproof Jacket for Women and Men
3. Check all your pockets before cleaning. Forgotten tissues and lip balm will not do wonders for your jacket.
4. Clean it before waterproofing. If you try to waterproof a dirty item, the efficacy will be significantly reduced (it won’t work).
5. Follow the care label. If the manufacturer says to wash it in cold water, do that.
High quality outdoor gear is important for keeping you dry and comfortable on your adventures. By investing in high performance gear and caring for it, you will save cash dollars in the long run. Don’t buy a new, cheap-o jacket every season that barely works. Buy one spectacular piece, and wear it for many seasons by properly caring for it. If you’re feeling extra thrifty, Nikwax also makes higher volume products, so you can save per wash.
Save the environment.
Did you know in that America alone we throw away over 11 billion tons of textiles each year? That’s just plain ridiculous waste. Do your part to help protect the natural world we love. Make informed purchases of high-quality gear. Then, extend the performance life by cleaning and rewaterproofing regularly.
RELATED: Shop Our Ultralight Helium Rain Jackets Here
Other ways to save:
- Buy used. Pick the racks at your local thrift store, or better yet, secondhand gear shop.
- Hand-me-down, trade, or sell to friends or online. Find a new home for that jacket that’s not quite your style anymore.
And, if you care about your impact, you might care about what’s in your cleaning and waterproofing products. Nikwax prides itself on manufacturing an entire line of high-performance products that are water-based, biodegradable, PFC-Free, non-aerosol, and not tested on animals. In fact, Nikwax has never used PFCs or aerosols in its entire 40 years of existence. Plus, Nikwax is the only company in the world to have carbon balanced its entire 40 years of operations.
Something to think about when you’re trying to do the best thing for your closet, your wallet, and the environment.
Photos by Elise Giordano and Joe Erfle.