Everest Speed Attempt: May 22
Outdoor Research climber Chad Kellogg is gunning for a speed attempt on Mount Everest on May 22, 2013. We’ll be posting updates on our blog as Chad prepares to go from 17,600 feet to the 29,035-foot summit in less than 22 hours.
What’s the plan for summit day? Chad’s not sitting on his pack at rest stops and munching on sandwiches for 45 minutes — he’s got a by-the-minute plan for a successful record summit day, including quick transition times. Here’s the schedule:
- 3 p.m. May 22: Leave Everest Base Camp (17,350 feet)
6:30 p.m.: Arrive at Camp 2 (21,450 feet). Change into new socks, La Sportiva Batura boots, Black Diamond Contact Crampons, Outdoor Research Lodestar Jacket, Outdoor Research Arete Gloves. Grab pre-stashed 1.5 liters of water with 1,500-calorie drink mix.
- 7:45 p.m.: Arrive at the base of the Lhotse Face. Change into 8,000 meter boots and crampons.
- 9:00 p.m.: Arrive at Camp 3 (23,300 feet). Pick up down suit, Outdoor Research Alti Mitts, pre-stashed 2 liters of water with 2,000-calorie drink mix and 3 Shot Blok packets.
- 9:15 p.m.: Leave Camp 3.
- 3 a.m. May 23: Arrive at Camp 4 (26,000 feet). Pick up La Sportiva Olympus Mons boots with battery-powered foot warmers. Pick up pre-stashed 2 liters of water with 2,000-calorie drink mix. Meet up with Fuchettar, Sherpa who will accompany Chad to the summit. Sherpa will climb with supplemental oxygen and carry an extra bottle for Chad in case of emergency.
- 3:15 a.m.: Leave Camp 4.
- noon-1 p.m. May 23: Arrive at summit, 29,035 feet. Begin descent, picking up 1 liter of pre-stashed water and 1,500 calories of food at each camp on the descent.
- Sometime before 10 p.m. May 23: Arrive back at at Base Camp for a sub-32-hour round trip.
For live updates from 2:15 am PST May 22nd to 9:15 am PST May 23rd, check http://www.explorersweb.com/kellogg7.
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook to keep up with Chad Kellogg’s race to the top of the world.
[Everest South Col map courtesy of www.alanarnette.com © reproduction prohibited without authorization]