Climber's Inspiration Gallery: Matter Valley And Bernese Alps
The Bernese Alps and Matter Valley are two of the most-visited regions of the Alps, and it's not hard to see why. Through the lens of Interlaken-based photographers Dan and Janine Patitucci, it seems as though Switzerland got more than its fair share of jaw-dropping mountain terrain, with steep-sided jagged peaks and massive glaciers everywhere, with picturesque alpine valleys in between. Here are a few of PatitucciPhoto's shots of the Bernese Alps and the Matter Valley—for more, follow them on Twitter @patitucciphoto, and on Instagram @danpatitucci.
1. Climbers hiking into the Arben Bivouac to climb the Obergabelhorn's Arbengrat are hit by a thunderstorm with heavy rain and hail, above Zermatt, Switzerland
2. Route spotting before the next day's climb.
3. Map check in the pre-dawn darkness while climbing the Arbengrat on the Obergabelhorn, Zermatt, Switzerland, with the Matterhorn in the distance
4. Alpine climbers at sunrise on the Obergabelhorn's Arbengrat, above Zermatt, Switzerland with the Matterhorn in the background.
5. Climbers descending the Obergabelhorn's regular route, a steep snow and rock ridge, Zermatt, Switzerland
6. Crossing the Trift Glacier at sunrise from the Rothorn Hut, Zermatt, Switzerland
7. Crossing the Trift Glacier at sunrise from the Rothorn Hut, Zermatt, Switzerland
8. Sport climbing at the tremendously hard and steep limestone crag at Gimmelwald, Switzerland, above the Lauterbrunnen Valley
9. A backcountry skier hiking the ridegline of the Mittel Tierberg. In the distance is a sea of clouds and views of the Swiss Alps.