APPLY TO BE THE 2019 #SHEADVENTURES SCHOLAR
The 2019 #SheAdventures Scholarship winner will get to bring one friend on an all-inclusive guided climb of Mt. Rainier, led by the world-class instructors at International Mountain Guides. This prize package also includes two roundtrip airfares to Seattle, WA, and one head-to-toe Outdoor Research kit with mountaineering essentials you’ll need for your summit attempt.
Instructions: Fill out the entire form below by Sunday, March 31 to submit an application for our 2019 #SheAdventures Scholarship. Read the official rules here.
Application period begins March 1, 2019.
Applicants must be female-identifying who are at least 21 years of age and residents of U.S. or Canada. With this entry, you are automatically agreeing to the Terms & Conditions below.
WIN A GUIDED CLIMB OF MT. RAINIER, SEPT 23-26, 2019
It’s the training ground for the world’s most elite mountaineers. It’s a sanctuary for hikers, skiers, backpackers, and snowshoers, and a source of inspiration for artists and activists – even marriages. It’s Washington state’s tallest mountain, the massive backdrop of Seattle, where Outdoor Research calls home. Mt. Rainier is beckoning, and we want to see you make it to the top.
We’re sending our 2019 #SheAdventures Scholarship winner on a guided climb of Mt. Rainier with International Mountain Guides (IMG), one of the mountain’s most long standing and trusted guiding companies. Learn more about the prize package and details of this climb below.
Dates: September 23-26, 2019
- Airfare to Seattle, Washington for winner + friend
- One head-to-toe Outdoor Research mountaineering kit for winner, approx. $1000 value. Includes:
- Hard Shell
- Puffy Jacket
- Soft Shell Pants
- Hard Shell Pants
- Two spots on IMG-led climb of Mt. Rainier, approx. $3000 value.
What to expect?
Read IMG’s detailed itinerary of their Mt. Rainier climb on their website to see what this climb includes. Some highlights:
- IMG staffs their climb with a 2:1 client-to-guide ratio
- Two campsites on the route: The shelter at Camp Muir (10,080’) and The Flats (11,000’)
- Half day pre-climb orientation and instructional meeting
- Shelter, stoves, fuel, cook wear, and group climbing gear provided by IMG
- Breakfasts, dinners, and hot drinks on the mountain included
How can I prepare?
While there are no prerequisites to this climb, Mt. Rainier is a demanding endeavor that requires a dedicated amount of physical training prior to a summit attempt. Good news is – you’ll have plenty of time to get ready between when we announce the #SheAdventures scholarship winner, and the climbing dates provided.
Check out IMG’s training suggestions for Mt. Rainier on their website to get a better understanding of how you can prepare for this endeavor.
Questions about the climb?
Check out IMG’s Frequently Asked Questions for all you need to know about your upcoming climb.
#SHEADVENTURES SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST OFFICIAL RULES
1. PROMOTER/SPONSOR. This Contest is sponsored by Outdoor Research, LLC, 2203 1st Avenue South, Seattle, Washington 98134 (“OR”).
2. ELIGIBILITY. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN.
3. ENTRANTS. The SHEADVENTURES SCHOLARSHIP CONTEST (“Contest”) is open to women who are legal residents of the U.S.A. and Canada (void in Quebec, Rhode Island and where prohibited/restricted by law), who have reached the age of at least twenty-one (21) years of age as of the first day of the Entry Period as defined below (“Entrant”). This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local U.S. laws.
To enter Contest, Entrant must: (1) have a valid e-mail address; (2) not be an employee, officer, director, or agent of OR, or any of Outdoor Research’s respective affiliates, subsidiaries, agencies, or sponsors (collectively “Outdoor Research and Agencies”); and (3) not be an immediate family member or living in the same household of any individual identified in (2) above.
4. CONTEST AND ENTRY PERIOD. The Contest begins at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time on Friday, March 1st, 2019, and ends at 11:59:59 PM Pacific Standard Time on Sunday, March 31st, 2019 (“Contest Period”). Contest Entry Period begins at 12:00 AM Pacific Standard Time on Friday, March 1st, 2019, and ends at 11:59:59 PM Pacific Standard Time on Sunday, March 31st, 2019 (“Entry Period”). Entries submitted before or after the Entry Period are ineligible. Outdoor Research’s computer is the official time-keeping device for the Contest.
5. HOW TO ENTER. All entries must be submitted through Outdoor Research’s website (https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/she-adventures-sponsorship/) (“Website”) during the Entry Period by following the entry instructions on the Website and entering all required fields/information (“Entry”). An incomplete Entry is void. Outdoor Research does not accept handwritten or e-mailed Entries. Entries will be deemed made by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address submitted at time of Entry. The term “authorized account holder” means the person to whom an e-mail account is assigned by an internet/online service provider, business, organization, or educational institution; however, notwithstanding the forgoing, Outdoor Research’s may, at its sole discretion and without liability, define “authorized account holder” as it deems reasonably necessary to administer this Contest. Outdoor Research reserves the right to require the Contest winner to submit, among any other information Outdoor Research deems reasonably necessary, (1) proof that they are the authorized account holder, and (2) that the Writing (defined below) submitted is their own original work of authorship to which they possess unencumbered rights.
6. SUBMISSION OF WRITING. The writing (1) can be a writing of any type (e.g., poem, haiku, prose) so long as it is submitted in English (writings submitted in languages not understandable to Judge/Judges (as these terms are defined below) will be considered void); (2) must be two hundred and fifty (250) words or less (not including punctuation), and (3) must follow the writing prompts provided in the application form.)) (“Writing”).
Entrant may submit a previously published Writing, so long as their right to use such writing is not encumbered in any way, and so long as Entrant maintains the right to grant Outdoor Research and Affiliates rights to the Writing per the terms of these Official Rules. Entrant must be able to disclose to Outdoor Research on request where a previously published Writing was published.
Entrant may submit no more than one Entry; duplicate or multiple Entries received by Outdoor Research, whether the fault of the Entrant or not, disqualifies Entrant from participation in Contest. Outdoor Research is not liable for Entries submitted, but not received by Outdoor Research due to dropouts, server congestion, bandwidth limitations, or any other reason.
Entry information will not be acknowledged or returned.
SELECTION OF WINNER. Judging will be conducted by one or more Outdoor Research employee and/or a guest judge to be selected by Outdoor Research at its sole discretion (“Judge” or “Judges”). There will be one (1) winner selected from all valid Entries. Judge/Judges will evaluate each Writing submitted as part of a valid Entry and will select one (1) Writing as the winning Writing on the Judge’s/Judges’ assessment and conclusion that the Writing is the most creative Writing; i.e., the Writing Judge/Judges assess, in Judge’s/Judges’ sole discretion, to be the most creative, as Judge/Judges choose, in their sole discretion to define that term, will be the Writing deemed the winning Writing. Judge’s/Judges’ decision is final. Please do not contact Outdoor Research to ask about the status of Entries or Judging.
The Entrant who submitted the winning Writing (the “Winner”) will be notified on or around Wednesday, May 1st, 2019 by e-mail and/or phone (at the e-mail and/or phone number submitted at part of Entry).
7. PRIZES. Winner will receive (1) a tuition waiver to attend in 2019 Guided Climb for 2 Participants of Mt. Rainier offered by International Mountain Guides, LLC. (an approximate retail value of USD $3000.00); (2) full airfare for two participants and potentially other related expenses; and (3) a custom kit of Outdoor Research gear of Outdoor Research’s choosing (notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary, Outdoor Research gear available to Winner is limited to Outdoor Research gear reasonably available at the time Winner specifies Winner’s choice of gear; furthermore, Outdoor Research reserves the right, without liability, to limit for any reason, the Outdoor Research gear available to Winner). (“Prizes”). Should any of the forgoing Prizes be unavailable, Outdoor Research reserves the right to offer a substitute prize, of equal or lesser value, of its choosing.
Prizes are NON-TRANSFERABLE AND MAY NOT BE SOLD. No substitutions or cash awards allowed. All federal, state, providential, and local taxes (if any) are the sole responsibility of the Winner. All details of any Prizes not specified in these Official Rules are determinable solely by Outdoor Research. Except where prohibited, Winner shall complete and return an affidavit of eligibility, including proof of age, and liability release, within ten (10) days of the first notification attempt on or around Wednesday, May 1st, 2019. If the Winner fails to return these documents on time (whether Winner’s fault or not) Prizes are forfeited, and Winner is no longer eligible to participate in Contest. In the instance that Winner forfeits, Outdoor Research may, at its sole discretion, choose an alternate winner per Contest’s Official Rules.
To claim Prizes, the Winner must respond as directed within seven days (168) hours of the first notification attempt on or around Wednesday, May 1st, 2019. If the Winner cannot be reached or fails to respond or comply with any of these requirements, or if Outdoor Research determines in its sole discretion that Winner is ineligible or disqualified, then, in Outdoor Research’s sole discretion, the Winner may be disqualified and the Prizes forfeited. In such event Outdoor Research may, at its sole discretion, choose an alternate winner.
Unless prohibited by law, by accepting Prizes, the Winner grants permission to Outdoor Research to use of Winner’s Writing, name, hometown, likeness, photograph, voice, and statements for advertising/publicity purposes without further compensation or permission. Winner assumes sole responsibility for any and all costs and other expenses associated with the Prizes not explicitly outlined above.
8. CRITERIA FOR QUALIFICATION. By submitting Writing as part of Entry to the Contest, Entrant confirms the following:
• That Entrant agrees not to submit any plagiarized or illegal Writing, and that Outdoor Research reserves the right to remove and disqualify any Entries for any reason;
• That Entrant agrees that Entrant is the sole owner and copyright holder of any and all subject matter submitted as part of Entry (and that all copyrighted subject matter is Entrant’s original work of authorship), including, without limitation, Entrant’s Writing;
• That Entrant grants Outdoor Research and Agencies, permission to use Entrant’s name and/or Entry for promotional, marketing, or other purposes to promote the Contest and Entrant’s involvement with the Contest in perpetuity across all media.
Neither Outdoor Research and Agencies, nor related individuals will not accept correspondence or telephone inquiries regarding the status of Entries or the administration of Contest.
By entering the Contest, Entrant agrees that Entrant’s Writing, as well as all other personally identifiable information collected or used in connection with the Contest may be used by Outdoor Research and Agencies in accordance with these Official Rules.
Without limitation, any and all incomplete, late, lost, misdirected, undelivered, undecipherable, or destroyed Entries are ineligible Entries, regardless of the reason or party responsible. False, misleading, or deceptive Entries render the Entrant ineligible. Entries become the official property of Outdoor Research; Entries will not be acknowledged or returned.
By entering the Contest, Entrant hereby warrants that all information submitted by Entrant is true, accurate, complete, and current. Entries that do not comply with the requirements stated in these Official Rules will be disqualified. Outdoor Research reserves the right to collect and use any and all metadata collected from Entrant during submission of Entry.
Outdoor Research reserves the right to share Winner’s e-mail address and other information submitted as part of Entry with its affiliates and [International Mountain Guides, LLC.] for marketing, advertising, and other promotional purposes.
Outdoor Research is in no way responsible for ensuring that any Writing or other information submitted in an Entry meets the qualifying criteria outlined above.
BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT AGREES TO BE BOUND BY THESE OFFICIAL RULES AND BY ALL DECISIONS OF
OR; ENTRANT ACCEPTS THAT ALL OR DECISIONS ARE FINAL.
9. CONDITIONS OF PARTICIPATION.
BY PARTICIPATING IN THIS CONTEST, EACH ENTRANT RELEASES AND HOLDS HARMLESS OR AND AGENCIES AND ITS AFFILIATES AND RELATED INDIVIDUALS FROM ANY AND ALL LIABILITIES, DAMAGES, LOSSES, EXPENSES, INJURIES, CLAIMS AND ACTIONS OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF OR RESULTING FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST OR FROM ACCEPTANCE, USE, OR MISUSE OF ANY PRIZE, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, CLAIMS BASED ON DEATH, PUBLICITY RIGHTS, DEFAMATION, OR INVASION OF PRIVACY.
By participating in this Contest, each Entrant further agrees that any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with this Contest, or any Prize awarded, must be resolved individually, without resort to any form of class action, and any judicial proceeding shall take place in a state court in the State of Washington. All issues and questions concerning the construction, validity, interpretation, and enforceability of these Official Rules, or the rights and obligations of Entrant and Outdoor Research in connection with the Contest, are governed by, and construed in strict accordance with, the laws of the State of Washington, without giving effect to any choice of law or conflict of law rules or provisions that would cause the application of the laws of any jurisdiction other than the State of Washington.
Outdoor Research reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to disqualify any Entrant found or suspected to be tampering with the operation of this Contest, acting in violation of these Official Rules, acting in a non-sports person like or disruptive manner, or with intent to abuse, threaten, or harass any other person or Entrant. Any use of robotic, automatic, programmed or the like entry methods will void all such entries by such methods, and disqualify any Entrant using any such method. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEBSITE RELATED TO THIS CONTEST OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS CONTEST MAY BE VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, OR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
Outdoor Research is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by users of any website related to this Contest, by any of the equipment or programming associated with, or utilized in, this Contest, or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of submissions in this Contest. Outdoor Research assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, defect, deletion, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction, or unauthorized access to, or tampering with or hacking of, any website related to this Contest or any technical failure or malfunction. Outdoor Research is not responsible for any injury or damage to Entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participating in this Contest, or downloading or copying materials from, or use of any website related to, this Contest. If, for any reason, this Contest is not capable of running as planned, including, without limitation, by reason of infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, hacking, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes which, in Outdoor Research’s sole judgment, corrupts or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Contest, Outdoor Research reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend this Contest, and select a winner from entries received prior to action taken as Outdoor Research, in its sole judgment, deems fair and in accordance with these Official Rules without notice to Entrants. In the event that any legal or regulatory authority challenges this Contest, Outdoor Research reserves the right to discontinue or modify this Contest without liability, and/or to disqualify Entrants residing in any affected geographic areas. In such event, Outdoor Research shall not have any liability to any Entrants who are disqualified as a result of such an action.
IN NO EVENT IS OR AND ITS AFFILIATES AND RELATED INDIVIDUALS (EITHER JOINTLY OR INDIVIDUALLY) RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE FOR ANY DAMAGES OR LOSSES OF ANY KIND, INCLUDING DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR PUNITIVE DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF PARTICIPATION IN THIS CONTEST, ANY PRIZES WON, ACCESS TO AND USE OF OUTDOOR RESEARCH’s WEBSITES, OR THE DOWNLOADING OR COPYING FROM AND/OR PRINTING OF ANY MATERIAL OBTAINED FROM SUCH WEBSITES. WITHOUT LIMITING THE FOREGOING, EVERYTHING ON OUTDOOR RESEARCH’s WEBSITE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. SOME JURISDICTIONS MAY NOT ALLOW THE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OR EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES SO SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY. CHECK LOCAL LAWS FOR ANY RESTRICTIONS OR LIMITATIONS REGARDING THESE LIMITATIONS OR EXCLUSIONS.
10. ENTRANT’S RIGHTS. By submitting Writing as part of Entry to the Contest, each Entrant grants Outdoor Research and Agencies and its associated agencies, a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive, non-transferable, absolute and irrevocable license, right and permission to use, re-use, publish, re-publish, publicly display, perform, transmit, exhibit, and reproduce any information including, without limitation, Entrant’s Writing, name, address, e-mail address, statements, video, voice, photograph, or other likeness, in whole or in part, individually and/or in conjunction with other material, including without limitation, text, photographs, or images, in any medium (whether now known or hereafter invented) and for any and all purposes, including but not limited to publicity, promotion, packaging, and trade, throughout the world without restriction as to manner, frequency, or duration of usage, only in connection with Contest (which, without limitation, includes Outdoor Research and Affiliate’s collateral, websites, and Social Media including but not limited to Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Vimeo pages used in connection with the Contest). Each Entrant consents to any and all infringement of their moral rights. Nothing herein shall obligate Outdoor Research and Agencies to use, without limitation, the Entrant’s name, address, e-mail address, Writing, statements, video, voice, photograph, or other likeness.
Each Entrant represents and warrants that Entrant has the right to grant Outdoor Research and Agencies the above-mentioned rights without obtaining the permission of, or making any payments to, any third party or entity.
Each Entrant hereby waives any right Entrant may have to inspect and approve any work-product, whether marketing, promotional, web content, or otherwise, incorporating any information submitted by Entrant, and hereby releases and discharges, indemnifies and holds harmless Outdoor Research and Agencies and their officers, directors, employees, contractors, agents, and any designees, including without limitation, Outdoor Research and Affiliate’s licensees, successors, and assigns, from and against any and all liabilities, losses, claims, demands, costs (including without limitation attorneys’ fees) and expenses arising out of or in connection with any use granted hereunder, including but not limited to any claims for defamation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, or copyright infringement.
OUTDOOR RESEARCH RESERVES THE RIGHT, WITH OR WITHOUT NOTICE TO ENTRANTS, TO CHANGE OR AMEND ANY OF THE OFFICIAL RULES OUTLINED ABOVE FOR ANY REASON ITS DEEMS, IN ITS SOLE DISCRETION, REASONABLE AND/OR NECESSARY. OUTDOOR RESEARCH RESERVES TO RIGHT TO CANCEL THIS CONTEST WITHOUT LIABILITY AT ANY TIME FOR ANY REASON.